26 July 2006

Myriad of Movie reviews

So I've seen a bunch of movies recently, and since this post would be really long and would take a lot of time if I decided to completely review them all, I'm just going to do little blurbs about them.

On a Clear Day - See this movie. Independent film from a Scottish film company based on the true story of the first guy who swam the English Channel. Not a lot of action, kind of a slow movie, but really good. 9 out of 10.

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story - Incredibly original, witty, well directed, well written & Steve Coogan rocks. Check it out it will be one of the most memorable movies you'll see this year. 10 out of 10.

Phantom of the Opera - Actors/singers were really good, as is the music. I'd never heard the entire opera, but I thought it was adapted to film really well. 7 out of 10.

40 Year Old Virgin - Freaking hilarious. If you're in the mood for a laugh, check it out, although not really a family film. 8 out of 10.

War of the Worlds - Lots of people are anti Tom Cruise now and I can see that, but the movie is actually really intense and I liked it a lot. Tim Robbins has a bit part in it that he's pretty sweet in. 7 out of 10.

Fantastic 4 - LAME. CHEESY. Don't waste your time. It's amazing how little actually happens. Hopefully they won't make a sequel, but I'm not optimistic. 2 out of 10.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Rocked my socks off. Everybody's back and with avengence. The cast rocks, and there's only really one or two parts where the movie goes a little over the top, but it's easy to take in stride. Be prepared to want to watch the third one right after the movie ends. 10 out of 10.

Brokeback Mountain - Totally didn't see what the big deal was with this movie. I think if it wasn't about two gay guys, but just about a man and a woman with forbidden love, no one would have said anything about it. It's just because the two main characters are gay that Hollywood is giving itself a pat on the back by recognizing how libreral and cultured they are, when really it shouldn't make any difference at all if the main characters are gay or straight. 4 out of 10.

Capote - Pretty slow movie, but I really liked it. Phillip Seymore Hoffman continues to astound me with the roles he chooses and the talent he brings to them. 8 out of 10.

Green Street Hooligans - Awesome. Beer, violence & football (European). Elijah Wood is great in it, as is the rest of the cast. It is very violent though, so be prepared. 9 out of 10.

Mean Machine - Another great British movie about violence and football. Produced by the same guy who was involved with "Lock, Stock" and "Snatch" and stars Vinnie Jones as a once famous footballer who gets sent to jail. Basically a British remake of "The Longest Yard". 7 out of 10.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang - Entertaining. I don't really know what to say about it. There were times where I was thinking it was awesome and then other times when I found myself saying "what's going on? why am I watching this?" I guess the best thing I can say is it's a pretty unique detective/caper film, fairly funny and pretty entertaining. 6 out of 10.

Breakfast on Pluto - Cillian Murphy as a young gay irishman who goes on a quest to London to find his mother who abandoned him at a church doorstep when he was a little baby. It's really funny, the soundtrack is great and the cast, although mostly not well known, is amazing. 8 out of 10.

Sunshine - Ralph Fiennes shines in this story of a Jewish-Hungarian family followed through three different generations from World War One all the way to modern day Hungary. A story about survival and values and how sometimes you have to give up your values in order to survive. Filmed on location in Budapest, Hungary, which I've spent six months in, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. 9 out of 10.

In the Mood for Love & 2046 - Not good. BORING! Thought they looked interesting, but they're not. Felt like the hours just dragged on and on and nothing happened. 2 out of 10 for the first, 3 out of 10 for the second.

Heat - I can't believe I hadn't seen this sooner. Allstar cast which does incredible, great cop/robber movie. Al Pacino and Robert De Niro steal the show. See it. 8 out of 10.

Ordinary Decent Criminal - Kevin Spacey as an Irish fun loving criminal? It works. It's a fun movie and Kevin Spacey is great in it. So's the story and the supporting cast. If you're a Spacey fan, you'll love it, otherwise you'll think it's a pretty good movie. 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

Tristram Shandy is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and definitely one of the best I've seen in many years ... Coogan is simply hilarious, as is everyone else in it .. and you're right, Fantastic Four is simply a flaming bag of shite