16 February 2007

The Shins Rock the house and Cliff Diving at "The Most Exciting Restaurant in the World"

Wow.

Let me tell you something, Denver. You put out quite the night. Even hitting rush hour straight on couldn't put a damper on this evening.

It's been so long since I've been down to Denver during a rush hour that I completly forgot they existed. I'm used to trying my patience on Shields and Mulberry trying to get home from work - that's nothing compared to going 7 mph on a four lane interstate jam packed with cars. And then just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" came on the radio and all was better. Check out the music video for that song if you don't already know what I mean.

Then it was time for dinner - not my choice, but I was all for it when I heard what Cynthia suggested and all of the sudden we found ourselves at the entrance to the Denver, nay, Colorado landmark: Casa Bonita. I hadn't been there for probably 20 years and it definitely was everything I remember and more. Self proclaimed as "The Most Exciting Restaurant In The World" I would have to agree. It's set up exactly like an amusement park all the way down to the line you have to wait in to order and to get into the actual restaurant. Then once you get to the tables you're surrounded by palm trees, cliffs, water falls, old "Mexican" posters and decorations, Mariachi bands and high school actors and members of the local dive team who work part time putting on a melodrama with cliff diving every 15 minutes. Pretty spectacular. We had fun.

Then it was on to The Fillmore to see The Shins. It'd been a couple years since I had seen a show at The Fillmore and I forgot what a great venue it is. We got there in time to catch the last few songs of one of the opening bands - Viva Voca - a duo that had kind of a catchy Weezer type sound to them. The girl sang and played an electric two necked guitar/bass while the guy sang and played keyboard and drums at the same time. Pretty cool to watch.

Then The Shins came on and rocked the house. I've got their new album "Wincing the Night Away" and was sure that they'd start with the opening track on the album "Sleeping Lessons". I was right, and it just got better from there. After "Sleeping Lessons" they went right into "Austraila" followed by "Pam Berry" immediatly into "Phantom Limb" which was incredible. Next they played a couple songs off their oldler albums "Kissing the Lipless", "Girl on the Wing", and "Mine's Not a High Horse". After that came "New Slang" when all the 16 year old girls (and other Garden State fans) when crazy and started screaming. Definite highlights were "Saint Simon" (which totally made Cynthia's night) where they got the whole crowd to sing along on the "La la" parts. "Pressed in a Book" was a definite favorite of mine as well as "A Call to Apathy". They ended the show with "Girl Inform Me" which was a great high energy song and a perfect song to go out on. The sold out crowd was great and the Fillmore even gave the band little trophys for selling out the show which the brought out on stage and showed everybody.

Overall it was an awesome show - one that I would reccommend not to miss when they're anywhere nearby your area of residence.

Here's to another fabulous night, Denver. Rock on.

No comments: