21 January 2007

Strange Happenings in Local Ice Chest

Check this out:
I filled up a normal ice cube tray midday and then 8 hours later we needed some ice, and upon removing the tray from the freezer we found a freak occurrence. Sometime during the freezing process, normal everyday physics had flown out the window and left us with the ice cube shown. Dennis put it in his tea and as far as I know is still living normally, so it must have just been the physical properties of the ice cube that had changed inexplicably and not the chemical properties. What made this freak occurrence take place? We are without explanation.

1 comment:

thothmuffin said...

My ice cubes do this too! I was afraid to admit it before, but now I see that I am not alone. I have consulted the Intarweb for help.

You will be happy (albeit shocked) to know that, according to Caltech, "Ice spikes are the result of physics, not biology."

Article explaining why it happens here:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/icespikes/icespikes.htm