01 January 2006

New Years with Newcomers Home

Amazing night last night. The best way I can think of to ring in the new year. One of my favorite bands (and every time I see them live they're easily my favorite band for the next couple weeks at least) Newcomers Home played their second to last show ever at the Redfish Brewery in Boulder to bring in the new year.

First of all, I went down with a bunch of really good friends from Fort Collins and then met up with some good friends down in Boulder. A great group of people to celebrate New Year's Eve with. Then we had reservations for dinner at the Redfish Brewery, which has incredible food. I ordered the seared sashimi grade Ahi Tuna steak with a crab and avocado risotto. Absolutely amazing. It's an expensive restaurant, but it was New Years, so we splurged, and it was delicious. Highly recommended.

Then Newcomers Home came on around 9:30 and played a fantastic first set. Really tight and you could tell that they were loving every minute of it. Their second set started around 11:10 and I got right up in the front to dance. It was a great set and they started with one of my favorite songs "Walls". They also played one of their older songs "Texas", but a much more rockin version of it. It was great.

For New Years the brewery passed out champagne and the band did an improve jam over the ball drop coverage from Times Square with Tim (the mandolin player) doing his own announcing. It was the perfect way to ring in the New Year. After the countdown was over and we had yelled "Happy New Year" the band started up again with the end of the song "Drewgrass", a fast jamming song that they had ended on just before the New Year's coverage. One of the best shows of theirs I had ever been to, and I've been to a ton of them.

It's too bad they're splitting up as a band, and that they're quickly approaching their last show, but I wish them all the luck on their other projects and thank them for all good memories.

No comments: