12 February 2006

"The Chronicles of Narnia" movie review

Tilda Swinton rocks. Easily the best part of the movie. She was so good at being so evil, and she blew me away in the last battle. I don't think they could have cast anyone better as the White Witch.

So on to the rest of the movie. There aren't many movies that I've seen that I consider better than the books that they're based upon. This was definitely an exception. I read the Chronicles of Narnia a short time ago (all of them) and thought that they were okay, but nothing exceptional. Each book is so short, it seems like nothing much happens and there's really nothing in between the things that do happen. After reading them again the first time in years, I was skeptical of the movie and how they were going to make a two hour epic out of it. Well they did, and they did a pretty good job. When reading the book, CS Lewis does a good job of making the children really annoying and making you get pretty much fed up with them on the first part of the story. The same is true in the movie. The kids are annoying (and I'm not saying anything about the actors - they were great - it was just the parts written) in the first two thirds of the movie, and then they get a lot better. Liam Neeson is a great voice for Aslan, as well as the actors who do the voice for the Beaver (Ray Winstone) and the Wolf (Sim Evan-Jones).

Overall I thought the movie was really good, great visuals, great sounds, and battle scenes that were definitely up to par with what has become the norm with all of the recent epic movies.

I give it a high 7 out of 10. The annoying part the kids played took some away from it for me, but Tilda Swinton was awesome. The movie in itself is worth seeing to see her coming into the last battle in her chariot.

No comments: