09 February 2006

"City of Lost Children" movie review

"I had a weird dream"

Little bit of an understatement. This was a crazy movie. Really dark, think Terry Gilliam at his best. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is quickly becoming one of my favorite lesser known directors. His visuals, set design, and color schemes are incredible. Think of the color schemes of "Amelie" and then go to the opposite spectrum of dark and twisted. Ron Pearlman does a great job in it (he's Hellboy in the movie of the same name) and the young actress Judith Vittet is incredible. The story is truly unique about this super intelligent guy who was created from a test tube but the person who created him left him and created him without the ability to dream. So he kidnaps children to try to see into their minds and what they are dreaming, but when he trys to get into their dreams they become only nightmares.

There's a lot of great memorable scenes in the movie, but one will stick out in my mind for quite sometime. For those of you who have seen it, you'll know what I'm thinking about, but since I don't want to give it away, I'll just say that looking yourself in the eye while you're dying would really freak me out.

If you're a fan of dark movies (I was a huge fan of "Dark City" and this is kind of in the same vein) you should definitely check it out.

I give it 8 out of 10.

No comments: