05 November 2005

"Rushmore" review

10 out of 10 stars! Way to go Wes Anderson & Owen Wilson!

This movie is great. The script is completely original and the characters are amazing. Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray and Olivia Williams are excellent in the movie along with all the rest of Wes Anderson's crew. It's hard to believe that it's Jason Schwartzman's first movie, he plays so well along side of Bill Murray, and there's a great scene when he's drunk at dinner with Bill Murray, Olivia Williams and Luke Wilson. Bill Murray also does a great job in the movie and although he's in way to many excellent movies to rank which ones I like him in the best, this is definitely up there. The quintessential scene of his character is a little ways into the movie after we've been introduced to him at his twin sons birthday party. He's sitting on the other side of the pool, smoking, drinking and wearing big read swim trunks with the Budweiser logo on them, when he gets up and stumbles up the ladder to the diving board (with drink still in hand), finishes his drink, looks around and does a cannon ball into the pool. It's great, and the music to back up the scene is perfect, as with all scenes in the movie.

Which brings me to my favorite part of the movie: the music. I've loved the music selection in all of Wes Anderson's movies and this is no exception. Featuring a lot of acoustic guitar music from mainly British invasion bands, the music fits in with every scene perfectly. My favorite two songs come from The Kinks, and The Faces song "Ooh La La" at the end of the film during the credits.

"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger."

No comments: