01 November 2005

"What the Bleep do we Know?" review

So there's been a lot of talk about this movie, and I finally saw it. Some of my good friends who are philosophy majors said it was complete bunk and that I shouldn't waste my time, but some other friends who I've listened to before said I need to check it out. So here's my review on it, take it or leave it.

I give it 3 out of 10 stars. Really didn't like it much at all.

First of all, what was with the whole wedding scenes? The polka dance and the animated addiction cells? Could have lived without all of that.

I thought the movie was split into three different aspects, none of the three I really cared for. The first one with seemed to me like a dialogue you would stumble across with a bunch of high, partially drunk PhD professors in philosophy and quantum physics at some party out east somewhere. It reminded me of all that I can't stand about philosophy. Now I'm always one to expand my mind and introduce myself to new ideas, but I can't stand this continuous debate on what is reality. Does it matter? I would like to see one of those philosophers who talks about this whole thing with quantum physics being able to choose your own reality actually live in his own reality. Because until then, we're all living on the same planet, with the same rules and the same reality as far as I'm concerned. And if someone does break out into some crazy new reality that they've created, odds are everybody's going to know about it the next day.

Secondly, I thought it was lame when the movie took a turn to kind of a self-help "lift up your self-confidence" type thing. Okay, so we can control our own decisions and they effect our feelings and our life. Right. Big deal. I think everybody knows that, thank you very much.

Finally I think it could have really done without the whole spiritual turn towards the end. The last thing I need to hear is a bunch of new age physicist-philosophers trying to tell me about God and faith and how we all tie in to the bigger picture.

Anyway, if you're one of those types who likes to hear all the different views on things, or is into debating what is reality and all that type of stuff, I guess you can spend a couple hours to check out this movie. If you're pretty much fine with your way of thinking, and not really into a whole bunch of new-age philosophy, I also recently saw "Bottle Rocket" and really liked that.

1 comment:

Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) from a krazy blogger down-under in New Zealand. I don't think it has reached this far, but when it does, I'll leave it. Thanks for your comments on it.